All content copyright Jenna Green. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Tuesday 14 October 2014

CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP


There are few things I like about the colder months but one thing I really enjoy is eating home made soup.  There's just something really comforting about curling up with a steaming hot bowl of soup and a freshly baked crusty roll on a chilly day.
Butternut squash is seriously one of my favourite autumnal things to eat.  Whether it is mashed, roasted or baked with pasta I just love the delicious flavour.  Last weekend I had a craving for some soup so I gathered together the few basic ingredients needed and made this tasty meal.  Whilst I didn't keep exact measurements of ingredients used, I thought I would share how I made this as it's so simple.

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1 small onion
vegetable stock
Carnation Cook With It (or single cream)
olive oil
salt and pepper


Chop the butternut squash and onion into chunks (you can leave the skin on the butternut squash for now.  Spread evenly across a baking tray lined with parchment, sprinkle over salt and drizzle with olive oil (I use spray oil).  Roast slowly on a low temperature until soft.  I roasted for around two hours at 140C.

Once cooked remove from oven to cool slightly then scoop out of the skin and put into a blender along with the onion.  Add in about 50ml of Carnation Cook With It or cream and blend until smooth.

To remove any remaining lumps pass through a sieve into a pan.  Add in vegetable stock and/or cream until it reaches the desired consistency and heat until warm.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with warm bread.


I also baked a crusty loaf to go with it using this Paul Hollywood recipe for a white cob.  I halved the recipe and it filled my loaf tin nicely.  It was simple to make and tasted really good.

On a side note I find the Carnation Cook With It really handy to have in my cupboard.  I received two cartons in my September Degustabox and I'm almost finished with my second one.  I use it in exactly the same way as I would single cream.  It tastes good and I like the easy pour, re-sealable packaging.

Do you have a favourite autumn soup recipe?


Follow on Bloglovin

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin