All content copyright Jenna Green. Powered by Blogger.

Social icons

Monday 17 March 2014

Banana and Oat Loaf Cake




I love bananas and usually have one for breakfast but as soon as they start to go brown I just can't even touch them.  It would be such a waste just to throw them away so once they are brown all over I mash them up and bake them into a cake.  It's the perfect accompaniment for a mid-morning cup of tea.

I saw a recipe for a banana cake with oats in and thought it sounded delicious.  I modified it a little as the original included sultanas, however I didn't have any to hand.  I happened to have some dates and walnuts which I thought would be perfect instead.  It's a really moist cake and the oats give it a dense, moreish texture.  The best bananas to use are the ones that are over ripened to the point where they are black all over.  I know it sounds gross but they just get sweeter and sweeter as they blacken.  I mash mine up to a complete pulp but if you wanted to have chunks of banana through the cake you could just roughly mash they so they remain on the lumpy side.

Ingredients:

110g butter
200g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs whisked
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
125g plain flour
85g rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
250g mashed banana
65ml milk
30g chopped dates
30g chopped walnuts


Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a loaf tin.

In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar.  Add in the whisked eggs and vanilla essence and beat until fluffy.

In another bowl sift the flour and add in the oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

To the sugar mixture gradually add the flour mixture, bananas and milk mixing until combined.

Fold in the dates and walnuts before pouring the mixture into the loaf tin.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.

After baking, turn out of the tin and cool on a wire rack.


Don't forget to leave me a comment if you try it and let me know what you think.

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin